Latest

Biscuit’s Bassment: “Spotlight on You,” Igor Franca

Biscuit’s Bassment: “Spotlight on You,” Igor Franca
Biscuit

BISCUIT… It certainly was a tough competition this time around, and there were a great many very talented bassist’s who submitted their tracks, but I am glad that didn’t put you off, or we would not be having this conversation today.

The internet is definitely an amazing tool my friend, and hopefully after reading this, many more people will use it to check out the music of Igor Franca and his wonderful bass playing.

IGOR… Oh yes, I hope so very much.

I guess, there were one hundred and seventy four plays on my profile player on myspace on only the first day and although I would not expect that every day, it certainly was a nice surprise to know so many new people were listening to my music… It was just great.

BISCUIT… So how well known are you for your bass playing in your home country of Brazil.

IGOR… Not at all really, it is very difficult to get noticed or recognised in this country as a bass player. Here in Brazil there are some difficulties, because the musicians here just don’t have the public places to play. We have neither the venues nor the facilities and so the people do not get to see many ‘home-grown’ musicians. There are a few great bass players here in Brazil, but they just don’t get heard at all.

BISCUIT… Well hopefully after your interview today, it may help you to become more recognised, and I am sure that the people of Brazil will be very proud of you and begin to talk about their Igor Franca in a really positive way…and I am sure that you will also get more attention from around the world also.

IGOR… That would be really amazing. I have had to do everything for myself here and learn as I go along, so to be recognised for my efforts would be a wonderful thing.

BISCUIT… You were born in a city called Santos in Brazil I believe… So what was it like growing up there as a child and a young musician?

IGOR…The City is fantastic, with beautiful scenery, but for work, and in the arts and especially music, it is very difficult, as they are poor people who do not have places to play and are unable to get access to instruments either, so it can become very hard for creative people in Santos. It is a fantastic place to live, but not necessarily to grow. To grow musically we would have to go to Sau Paulo or maybe Rio, just the bigger cities really.

BISCUIT… It sounds like a wonderful but very tough place to grow my friend, and not just in music of course but in everyday life as well. Maybe we should all take a step back and realise just how lucky we are to be able to go into a music store and be able to buy a bass off the hook and have that opportunity to take it out there and play in public.

IGOR… Ha-ha…Maybe yes.

Although it is tough there, Santos is still relatively quite popular and is known for its port and shipping area and I believe it is the biggest in Latin America.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

View Comments (8)

1. BISCUIT

April 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm

This Interview was an absolute pleasure for me,and Igor is definately one to look out for in the future. A Wonderfully talented bass player and a real gentleman too.
    Nice one Igor.

2. Jason

April 3, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Yes,enjoyed this interview, very well done and it was good to find out about Igor!
    Congrats to you both!

3. celi

April 4, 2010 at 12:24 am

1° winner who wonder, you deserve it, really notice that you touch with your soul and lovers down thank

4. Carlos Rocha

April 4, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Igor is a gret bass player and a great friend. I´m happy for this interview and I know that I´ll can see so many others like this and more sound of your bass.

Congratulations, Igor!

5. Valmir de Souza

April 9, 2010 at 12:03 am

Igor toca pra caralho !!! O cara é foda .. tem uma puta paciência com esse preuiçoso de merda aqui. Puta que o pariu, Igor. Botou pra fuder …

TRANSLATION:

Igor is a great bass player !!! And a very nice guy … he´s a pacient teatcher for the lazy students, like me. God bless you, Igor. You made a great job …

6. Karl

April 13, 2010 at 2:08 am

Wow! What a thumb this man has!!! Congratulations to you Igor. And well done Biscuit on the great interview. Keep `em coming!

7. Trent Morley

April 17, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Great interview…It’s a true testament to the undiscovered talent that is out there..

8. BISCUIT

April 24, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Well done to Igor…And great interview Biscuit, keep them comimg. :) x

Latest
Biscuit

I am known as "BISCUIT" and I am a self-taught bass guitarist of some 19 years now. I play 5 and 6 string Spector basses exclusively, and have used them all with many bands during live and recording work over the years. I am predominantly a "Solo" artist these days, but will play with any musicians if the circumstances are right. I am an endorsee/Artist for SPECTOR bass guitars and also an Endorsee/ambassador for HARTKE bass amplification systems. All of the above recognitions I am very proud of, and to be recognized by the likes of Spector and Hartke is very flattering indeed and I thank them all for their friendship and support. I am currently working on material for my second solo album, which is keeping me busy at the moment. Having said that... If anyone out there should require some "Biscuitised" bass on their projects, please do not hesitate in contacting me. My influences are so varied, that there is not enough room here to list them all, but in the world of Bass, my top 4 are Jaco Pastorius, Billy Sheehan, John Myung and Mike Inez. Bands and Artists are way too numerous, but I would say my biggest influences are from the world of rock, with the likes of... Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, Journey, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy and more recently, and probably the best of all are, Dream Theater. I am a big lover of grunge too, so Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam are up there in a very big way. Having said that, I love the great jazz, blues and soul artists too (i.e. JACO, Stu Hamm, Marcus Miller and the like). If you would like to get deeper, then drop me a line and I will be glad to give you the full range. I use Spector Bass guitars exclusively, and my main weapons these days, are a 5 string Euro LX Custom fretless and a 6 String Euro LX both fitted with two EMG Soapbar pick ups, and my basses are only ever laid with Rotosound strings.... Roundwound Jazz bass 77's on the custom fretless, and Swing Bass 66's on the 6 string. I use Hartke Amplification exclusively also, which includes a HA5500 head and two-4x10 XL cabs. I also use a Hartke "Bass attack pedal/DI box, and a Harke HS 1200 1X15 kickback combo for home practice and teaching. I also use a BOSS GT-6B bass effects processor, which is really being put through its paces at the moment.... Great tool!!! I use KLOTZ cables, and also for live work, an Audio Technica wireless system. Visit online: www.myspace.com/biscuitandbass4

More in Latest

Bassist Owen Owen Owen Teams Up with Dalannah Gail for 'Been Around A While'

Bassist Owen Owen Owen Teams Up with Dalannah Gail for ‘Been Around A While’

Valery AmadorAugust 27, 2015

Mike Claiborne Captures Summer on New Single

Jonathan MoodyAugust 27, 2015
COVER  final

Jeff Lorber Fusion, Co-produced by Bass Legend Jimmy Haslip

Valery AmadorAugust 21, 2015
PledgeMusic and Cheap Trick Bassist Tom Petersson Want You To  Rock Your Speech

PledgeMusic & Cheap Trick Bassist Tom Petersson Want You To “Rock Your Speech”

Valery AmadorAugust 19, 2015