Joined on: March 15th, 2010
Rick Suchow has been an in demand bassist on the live New York music scene for three decades, logging well over 3000 live performances in a career that has taken him from Lincoln Center to the White House. He continues to play more than one hundred gigs per year, appearing in many notable NYC clubs, hotels and venues. He is also a songwriter with several Billboard hits to his credit and a composition included in The New Real Book, the biggest selling legal jazz fakebook of all time. As a bass journalist his articles have appeared frequently in Bass Guitar Magazine, including interviews with Will Lee, Jimmy Haslip, Bob Babbitt, Roger Sadowsky and many others, and his writing on legendary Motown bassist James Jamerson is published in the African American National Biography, "the largest repository of black lives ever assembled in our nation's history by almost tenfold", according to publisher Oxford University Press. Originally a keyboardist, Rick picked up the bass guitar in his teens. When a friend gave him a copy of the debut Jaco Pastorius album, his entire musical life changed. Primarily self taught, Rick eventually went on to study bass with Lincoln Goines, and for a brief period was a bass instructor himself as well. Rick is a Grammy-voting member of the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, as well as a member of the American Society of Composers Authors & Publishers, the American Federation Of Musicians and the Songwriters Hall Of Fame. His list of credits includes Ringo Starr, Angela Bofill, Deodato, Roberta Flack, TKA, Motown's Martha Reeves, Larry Graham, Jay Black, Gary U.S. Bonds, and many others, and he has shared the stage with many world class drummers including David Garibaldi (Tower Of Power), Jai Johnny Johnson (Allman Brothers), Roy Burns (NBC Orchestra), and the late Jim Chapin. Rick brings a lifetime of bass experience to Bass Musician Magazine, and welcomes the opportunity to contribute as a staff writer.
Recent Posts by Rick Suchow
- Cassie Taylor: Born Of The Blues
- Berklee Bass Talk: Throw Away The Metronome?
- 3 Doors Down Bassist Charged With Vehicular Homicide
- Paul McCartney To Re-Release Wings Over America Live Album
- Berklee Bass Talk: Was Jaco Overrated?
- Mike Frost, Bass Musician Magazine Q&A
- Eric Clapton: Old Sock (Bassists: Willie Weeks, Paul McCartney)
- Toby Keith Bassist Dies In Car Crash
- Tony Levin: Mr. Deep
- Chris Squire Takes A Straight And Stronger Course... by Rick Suchow: Bass Musician Magazine March 2013
Recent Comments by Rick Suchow
- "Sorry, that was just a dumb typo on my part. I knew Alan joined in '72, I was one of those people who bought Topographic Oceans the week it was releas" on Chris Squire Takes A Straight And Stronger Course… by Rick Suchow: Bass Musician Magazine March 2013
- "Thanks for the comment. I appreciate you taking the time to write, and I respect your opinion." on Alicia Keys: Girl On Fire (Bassists: Bruno Mars, Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds, Steve Mostyn, James “Malay” Ho)