Debut Album From Bassist David Enos, Standard Deviation
PR – Cedar Creek Music is proud to announce the debut album from bassist David Enos entitled “Standard Deviation“. David Enos, a veteran of over 50 albums with other well-known artists, has released a debut album worthy to stand alongside those he played bass on for co-artists Arturo Sandoval, David Benoit and Alphonse Mouzon. His innovative harmonic edge and quirky approach on this album of classic jazz standards has musicians talking. His broad-stroked deviations in timing, harmony and structure grab you and take you on a wild ride around these classic themes and drop you off wishing for more.
And, more is what he presents in this 10 song disc including:
- Angel Eyes
- A Fine Romance
- I Love You
- When I Fall In Love
- The Night Has a Thousand Eyes
- You Don’t Know What Love Is
- Some Other Time
- My Foolish Heart
Pianist David Goldblatt’s breathy, hypnotic solo on ‘Invitation’ is a highlight you won’t want to miss. Drummer Robert Harsen’s understanding and execution of intricate polyrhythms takes you from the smallest rumble to a volcanic eruption.
Saxophonist Gary Meek’s warm sound and his ability to navigating chord changes is a perfect response to the other musicians.
David Enos’ uncanny understanding of harmony in arranging is matched by his ability to adventurously approach each remake creating impeccably timed improvisational explorations with his 120 year old bass.
“In his career, bassist David Enos’ large tone, versatility and ability to sound thoughtful even at the most rapid tempos have been major assets to every setting in which he appears. On his new CD, Enos and his top-notch quartet interpret ten well-known jazz standards. But, although each of the songs have been played a countless number of times through the years, they have never before sounded quite like this. Their chords have been modernized and re-harmonized, fresh new introductions and transitions have been added, and the rhythm section, while swinging with subtlety, has a continuous conversation with the lead voices…the playing of all four musicians is heard at its most creative as they really dig into these tunes, emerging with many moments of unexpected beauty.” – Scott Yanow, jazz journalist
- David Enos’ wide and varied career including touring, performing, and/or recording with artists like Arturo Sandoval, David Benoit, Sergio Mendes, Stan Getz, Bobby Caldwell, Frank Gambale, Otmaro Ruiz, Russell Ferrante, Danilo Pérez, Nelson Rangell, Kirk Whalum, Toninho Horta, Tak Matsumoto, and Alphonse Mouzon, has prepared him to birth this innovative work.
- His extensive studio work has included Superbowl commercials for NBC, Olympic Themes for CBS, Charlie Brown specials, and commercials for Nascar, Chevrolet, Honda, and Apple computer.
- He has served as the Director and Program Developer for two contemporary music schools, as a staff columnist for “Bass Frontiers” magazine, and as a Master Class Clinician for several organizations including the Music Center Spotlight Awards at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.
- His music has appeared on Grammy-nominated albums. He has played for the President of the United States twice.
- David has authored “Overuse Injuries: Their Prevention and Treatment” as well as an upcoming Music Theory Book.
Standard Deviation has been submitted for Grammy consideration in the following categories:
- Contemporary Instrumental Album
- Jazz Instrumental Album
- Improvised Jazz Solo: David Goldblatt’s on “Invitation”
David sends a BIG thank you to James Linahon for submitting it and of course the AMAZING players on the CD, David Goldblatt, Robert Harsen and Gary Meek.
Standard Deviation is available online at www.cdbaby.com/cd/davidenos