Bass Videos

Interview with Bassist BrownMark

Interview with Bassist BrownMark

BrownMark plays bass with The Revolution.

In 1981, BrownMark made his debut with Prince on the “Controversy” tour. For seven and a half years, he honed skills as a bassist for Prince and the Revolution and soon became known for his funky bass playing. Prince quoted in a Rolling Stone article that “without BrownMark on bass,” he would “take bass out of the music.”

In this interview, hear about BrownMark’s bass journey, his time playing with Prince, The Revoultion’s upcoming tour and the low down about his gear.

Visit online at brownmarknation.net

Follow online at facebook.com/officialbrownmarkfanpage

1. Clark Sims

June 13, 2017 at 4:12 am

Nasty funky bass player

2. Bass Musician Magazine

June 13, 2017 at 5:25 am

And i know that is a compliment… 🙂 Thanks for your input!

3. PhuckHue2

July 6, 2017 at 2:08 am

passive on stage? he should try installing a buffer in his bass. it converts the signal from high impedance to low impedance so there is no signal loss. the G string will be more crispy clear and the low end will have more punch and definition. they even have buffers you can plug into the output jack of the bass

4. PhuckHue2

July 6, 2017 at 2:14 am

I agree those GK amps kick ass. I’ve been a fan since my first 800RB

5. Bass Musician Magazine

July 6, 2017 at 4:25 pm

True that! Thanks for your input! BMM

6. Rick Barnes

July 13, 2017 at 12:48 am

Thanks for the great interview! However, I think the Alembic Spoiler should be Brown Mark’s main bass, it really highlights his sound/style. But I do understand that being in The Revolution Band he has to stay with Fender for that Minneapolis sound.

7. Bass Musician Magazine

July 13, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Glad you like the interview! Thanks for your input!

8. ROCKNROLLFAN

July 18, 2017 at 1:37 pm

his bass playing reminds me so much of Larry Graham especially the tone…..

9. Bass Musician Magazine

July 19, 2017 at 3:44 am

Thanks for your input! Keep it low!

10. Ann Adam

July 22, 2017 at 1:24 am

i love MARK BROWN mmmm

11. Bass Musician Magazine

July 22, 2017 at 1:36 am

Thanks for your Input Ann! 🙂

12. Erik Max Q Mcc

July 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

hello , this was a amazing video , Love Brown mark?

13. Erik Max Q Mcc

July 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

hello , this was a amazing video , Love Brown mark?

14. Erik Max Q Mcc

July 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

hello , this was a amazing video , Love Brown mark?

15. Erik Max Q Mcc

July 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

hello , this was a amazing video , Love Brown mark?

16. Erik Max Q Mcc

July 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

hello , this was a amazing video , Love Brown mark?

17. Erik Max Q Mcc

July 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

hello , this was a amazing video , Love Brown mark?

18. Erik Max Q Mcc

July 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

hello , this was a amazing video , Love Brown mark?

19. Erik Max Q Mcc

July 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

hello , this was a amazing video , Love Brown mark?

20. Erik Max Q Mcc

July 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm

hello , this was a amazing video , Love Brown mark?

21. Bass Musician Magazine

July 23, 2017 at 3:56 am

Thanks for your input!

22. inspectorbudget

July 30, 2017 at 10:31 am

Rick Barnes To me, that Alembic drove the Purple Rain tour.

23. Reg Pharr

August 2, 2017 at 4:05 pm

I wish Mark would’ve saved some of the footage of him & Prince duo-jammin on the bass. There’s sweet YouTube footage of Prince duo-thumpin’ w/ the Female Bassist from 3rd’Eye Girl Live shortly B4 his death. Priceless!!!

24. Bass Musician Magazine

August 3, 2017 at 2:44 am

Thanks for your Input!

25. Johnnie Alexander

August 22, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Just finding this interview this is so cool!!!! I’m seeing a resurgence of live music/musicians, it feels great to see the revolution back and bringing the music from days gone by back again.

26. Bass Musician Magazine

August 22, 2017 at 11:37 pm

Thanks for your Input Johnnie! We love what we do.. Make sure to check out our other interviews..(We have a lot of them) and share with your Bass friends! Keep it Low!

27. TED E. FAME

September 14, 2017 at 5:53 pm

@bassmusicanmagazine Here’s a story about how I first heard about prince.and it concerns brown mark sister. Back in 1974 I spend the summer with family in bofalo n.y. my family are Jehovah witness. Marks family are also Jehovah witnesses.marl sister came to bofalo n.y that summer, her name is Yvette Brown. I was 13 years old at the time. Man I felt madly in love with her. At the time I was just getting in to music I could sing, but I didn’t play an instrument at the time. Well she use to talk about her brother mark and how he loved to play bass, he would carry that bass with him every where he went.he would even fall to sleep holding it.well she mention he had a friend name prince who was very popular at the time in Minnesota and a great musician prince is a year older than me, so he must have been 15 years old at that time, and he was already making a name for his self. A few years later his first record came out, I still didn’t put two and two together until mark joined the revolution then it all clip, this was the guy Yvette was talking about. I never saw her again after that summer.but I did become friends with brown mark on myspace, and I told him this story. He seem surprised and enjoyed my story. So I was one of the first to know about prince who never met him or lived in Minnesota. Hope you read this one day and respond to it. Thank you very much. My stage name is Ted E. FAME. You can find all my videos on YouTube. Peace one love.

28. Bass Musician Magazine

September 14, 2017 at 7:42 pm

Thanks for sharing Teddy! 🙂

29. ijcn0jir3nvjn3fjcifn

September 15, 2017 at 7:30 am

Rockin Reg have you seen the one video both Larry and Prince jamming bass for a very short time ?

30. Blair Franklin

September 20, 2017 at 5:13 pm

This story is so cool! Wow!

31. Zee21

October 2, 2017 at 4:42 am

Beautiful conversation, great interview! 🙂

32. Bass Musician Magazine

October 2, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Thanks for your input!

33. ktmpl

October 24, 2017 at 8:40 am

A great and REAL interview! Props Brownmark! One of the greats..God bless!

34. Bass Musician Magazine

October 24, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Thanks for your input! We are very glad you enjoyed this interview.. please feel free to share with all your bass friends! Keep it low!

35. Myko 1-SUN

November 5, 2017 at 12:45 am

I started being a musician  as a guitar player. Recording and writing my own music made me a bass player. I am honored to be with my bottom brothers like Brownmark!

36. Bass Musician Magazine

November 5, 2017 at 12:52 am

Thanks for your Input! Keep it Low!

37. campfive

November 5, 2017 at 11:22 pm

DID THIS ASS2MOUTH, SAY JIMI’s music was random???
    WTF, WHEN THE FK, AND HOW THE FK DID THIS half a squirrel SQUIRT get this interview?

38. Don Williams

December 18, 2017 at 8:18 am

I love this video!  All truth!  I met YOU BROWN MARK back in NEW YEARS 1983 in Dallas, Texas after the “1999” concert!  You were the one that got me and my 2 female friends in the after party at the Green Leaf Hotel (At the time 1980s) in Dallas, Texas.  You and us were on the elevator and of course we recognized you and you were so cool and down to earth!  You stood there after we got off the elevator and talked to us and told us what to do and not to do or say if I get you guys into the after concert party!  You got us in there and I met Prince, a couple of members of  “THE TIME” & ” VANITY 6″!  But, you were the most down to earth coolest brother!!!

39. Don Williams

December 18, 2017 at 8:21 am

Also, I think the interviewer is a great interviewer!  He allowed YOU to talk and open up.  Most don’t do this!

40. Bass Musician Magazine

December 19, 2017 at 5:13 am

Thanks for your positive feedback Don! Keep it Low!

41. GT Tg

December 31, 2017 at 5:30 pm

If you get BM again — research the catalog (BM as a solo artist and producer, as well as, Prince and The Revolution). Check the vault website if you are not really into Prince’s music, which you are not, to see what songs BM may have participated. Put on the record or download the song. You are a nice guy, yet, you knew nothing about your subject. BM was a good sport about it, but you had a great opportunity to talk specifics about the music output and the process. BM was steering you to it talking about When Doves Cry and Kiss. Let me help you out: Difference between Andre Cymone and him. Adding the bass line into When Doves Cry for the PR tour (who composed). How Terry Lewis, BM, and Prince approached the bass differently and similarly. Securing music rights and credits. The specific bass set-up/gear used on tour and how that contributed to the sound. His top five bass licks – BM is a big fan of the Let’s Work bass line by Prince. What songs did he contribute to heavily yet may not have received credit. Start there man — and build upon the replies. Again, nice guy – yet, you are not a follower, and did not research your subject.

42. Bass Musician Magazine

December 31, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Thanks for you input GT. . I invite you to check out the rest of our channel and better yet our magazine at http://www.BassMusicianMagazine.com! Happy New Year!

43. Laurence Lhoest

January 8, 2018 at 3:22 am

Great interview. Thank you so much!!! I saw the Revolution last June in San Diego and it was GREAT!! Everything he says about the experience is absolutely true. I could not thank them enough for playing for us. I love them and God bless them all! Brown Mark seems to be a very very sweet guy. They love their fans and the fans love them back!!

44. Bass Musician Magazine

January 8, 2018 at 11:27 pm

Very Glad you enjoyed the interview and The Revolution’s music! Thanks for your input!

45. William Kirby

January 31, 2018 at 1:08 am

Mark Brown….Rolling Stone Interview 1985….Prince said he would have all bass removed if, you didn’t play for him. He would remove all bass. Wow! He valued your gift!

46. Bass Musician Magazine